My Blog List

Friday, July 12, 2013

Department Stores

Someone once commented that they thought I had one of the nicest collection of chain department store matchcovers they'd seen. Before Wal-Mart drove out all the smaller department and discount stores, there were more stores than you could visit in a day in a given major metropolitan area. I liked going to them as a kid and enjoyed the fact that each was different in terms of design and layout. 

Heck's, Ames, Jamesway, Zayre, Kmart, Murphy's, Wards, Sears, Bradlees, Harts, Hills, Rinks and the list goes on. I collect only the ones I remember and leave the other ones out there for like minded collectors.


An older Montgomery Ward matchcover. I have quite a few in my collection, each one a different color scheme.


An earlier Sears matchcover that is particular to the Buffalo, New York store. I have not seen many of these, but I imagine they were stock designs and stores could have their city's name imprinted into the "XXXXXXX'S COMPLETE DEPARTMENT STORE" area.


An early 1960's Sears cover. I particularly like the design and colors of this one. Of interest is that SATISFACTION GUARANTEED OR YOUR MONEY BACK is visually larger than the actual Sears logo (which has changed since the previous cover, above).

No comments:

Post a Comment