My Blog List

Friday, November 1, 2013

Comic Book Matchcovers



I was lucky enough to find both of these covers on a grab table at Keystone on Friday morning. 

Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle were both comic books by Paul Terry, whose company Terry-Toons also made cartoons. This cover must date between 1942 and 1952 as "Terry-Toons" comics were only produced by that name during that time. Later versions made in the 1960's were known as the "New Terry-Toons".

The second cover is for Archie comics and as it says on the matchcover, everybody loves Archie.


These covers for various Harvey Comics titles were also from the same grab table at Keystone last week. I had two of these in my collection and was surprised to find three new ones to add to them.The funny thing about these covers is that no matter how many times I run into the two most common covers (Babe Ruth Sports and First Love) I have never once seen either in decent or unstruck condition. I imagine these types of magazine and comic book matchbooks must have been given away at newstands.

From left to right: 

Black Cat

Babe Ruth Sports and Sad Sack

Joe Palooka, Little Max and Humphrey

First Love, First Romance and Love Problems & Advice

Fun Parade and Buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment