My Blog List

Friday, November 1, 2013

Sign Painting and Neon Sign Matchcovers

Purchased in a lot from Cary Vantol, I was thrilled to find these nine sign painting and neon sign design matchcovers. As a graphic designer I have been interested in sign painting and neon signs for quite some time.


First up is a very nice cover from General Displays Studios. They were the designers and makers of window backgrounds (picture the glass of a Chevrolet dealership around the Fourth of July), industrial exhibits, booths, floats and silk screens. 

Signs, Roy & Virg Harris, the second cover from the right is very interesting as they advertise sho-card lettering (think old county fair or carnival posters).


Finding matchcovers for neon sign companies was something I didn't think would happen, but I have found a few. I've always been fascinated by neon signs and the beauty of the bunch is definitely the one for Pacific Neon Sign Co. in blue and yellow. It's interesting that these companies that essentially sold design for a living didn't have more creative matchcovers.


I assume this cover for the Pacific Outdoor Advertising Co. is a division of the Pacific Neon Sign Co., but nonetheless it is an interesting cover for a company that did large scale outdoor signage and billboards.

No comments:

Post a Comment