My Blog List

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

White Spatz and Lots of Dollars



Continuing my foray into gorgeous mid 1930's covers depicting the glamorous life of the obscenely rich, here are two other very nice covers I acquired at UES in Hagerstown this year.

The cover for the Tiffin Room is really something, isn't it? Less stylistic than the other covers, it still shows a very well dressed man in what looks to be a tuxedo and a woman in long red coat. It sure looks to me like they're either getting in a very fancy elevator or exiting one. A little google searching (which is pretty fun, actually) turn this up:


"This was the Wolferman (an upscale grocery from what I gathered) downtown store -- the first floor was the grocery; in the basement was the grill, and upstairs was the Tiffin Room" 
( from http://millysmuse.blogspot.com/2012/08/eating-as-child.html )

The cover for the Cafe Loyale is very stylized and similar to the Nikabob cover. It was a feature and has printing "Patented in Canada - 1932" on the back, which I have not seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment