My Blog List

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Cover Gallery

Instead of having a theme, occasionally I'll just post a few covers that are noteworthy for their design or historical significance.


Up first is this cover for Cafe De Paree in Los Angeles. Dine and Dance covers are my favorites and even though I'll gladly put in my collection of them, it's a shame this one was bobtailed.


Great graphics on this Castles Ice Cream cover.


The leg of the letter K that turns into a baseball-like tail is the standout for this Kellogg Real Ice Cream cover.Ice cream is a health food, indeed.



I love these older Strike Rite Matches from Canada purely for the design no matter what the business is. I can always recognize them due to their unique illustrations and great colorways.



Feeling groovy? You will if you ordered any of the groovy products offered in these national covers. I totally need a dayglo zodiac poster and a few pop art pillows to spice up my residence.


Hoberg's Summer (and Winter) Resort is nestled among the pines according to this nicely designed cover.


This Hotel Cherokee cover from Cleveland, Tennessee has a damaged striker but is nonetheless very nice. 


Two hotel covers shown above, from the Hotel U.S. Grant and the New Crosby Hotel demonstrate effective illustration and type based advertising. I count seven ink colors on the Crosby cover and can't imagine the expense businesses went to to put out gorgeous covers like these.


A great photo based cover for the Lotus Cafe shows the host and a view of the front of the restaurant.



Two nice examples of older cut rate and drug store covers.


Montgomery Wards was a heavy hitter for many years and everything from toys to clothes to tools to stereos. This older cover is probably from the 1940's. Check out the reverse side that advertises floor paint (yes, floor paint).

Detail from the reverse side of the cover advertises Wards Certified Floor Paint.



Last up is this Roy Rogers restaurant matchcover from the 1970's. Roy's was always my favorite and I always stop when I see one. Their fried chicken is the best out of any of the fast food places in my opinion.


Signage from Roy Rogers.








No comments:

Post a Comment