My Blog List

Monday, April 15, 2013

Mr. Goodwrench and J.C. Whitney


Mr. Goodwrench sounds familiar doesn't it? I used to hear it on television ads all the time, then he / it just disappeared. According to a (paraphrased) 2010 Detroit News article:

"Goodwrench was created in the mid-1970's to promote GM's parts and service dealerships. GM dealers used Mr. Goodwrench to advertise maintenance and repairs for more than 30 years will be replaced with brand-specific labels such as Chevrolet Certified Service and Buick Certified Service. On February 1, 2011 Mr. Goodwrench will officially be phased out."

However, GM Goodwrench is still an auto repair service for GM products in Canada.

The second cover (which has seen some use) is an ad for the J.C. Whitney catalog, which sold auto accessories and parts. My father got this thick catalog in the mail frequently when I was a kid and only after he had perused its pages could I have it. I would engulf myself in daydreams of repairing a 1965 Mustang and rebuilding a Volkswagen beetle from affordable parts and accessories. The only thing more exciting than the new J.C. Whitney catalog was the Brigade Quartermaster catalog, full of waterproof duty boots, Rambo knives and collapsible buttstocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment