My Blog List

Monday, April 15, 2013

Spotlight On: Gas Stations


Here's a few older gas station covers that I thought were interesting. First up on the left is a Match Corp. Of America cover. I'm not sure when exactly it's from, but I did figure out what Blue Sunoco was:

 In 1927 Sun Oil introduced its only grade of gasoline, calling it Blue Sunoco, "The High Powered Knockless Fuel at No Extra Price." Blue dye was used in the gasoline so that motorists could identify it by its color, through the glass of the 1920s gravity-flow gasoline pumps."

From http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/sunoco-inc-history/

The other covers aren't as interesting and not that long ago I would have put them on the freebie table at our MARVA meetings. However, I got to thinking about how much the level of service at gas stations has changed over the last 25 years. Try to find a station these days that still offers the wiper and fluid to clean your window by the gas pumps. They don't put them out anymore, at least in the NoVa and DC area. These days when the garage portion of gas stations are closed you mostly have a functioning cashier and little else. Here's my small thank you to the gas stations of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment